Meet Your Farmer

Farming has changed a lot over the last century.  From autonomous tractors to GPS tracking software in our planters, farms of today are quite different from our grandparents farms.

But, these advancements come with a price.  With only about 2% of the population working to produce food for the remaining 98%, it is nearly impossible to farm the “way we’ve always done it” while still being efficient.

So, today’s farmers, along with many agricultural engineers and scientists, have developed many new and exciting ways to farm more efficiently than ever before.

This increased efficiency though, is something that makes some consumers nervous, it prompts questions of “what effects does this efficiency have on the animals?”, “is my food still safe to eat?”, and “are farms becoming too big?”.

Well, no worries, all those questions and more will be answered here!

Farming Infograph

These questions and more will be answered more extensively on the “Common Questions” page, but here’s a head start!

Does increased efficiency have an effect on the animals?

  • Yes, but in a positive way! Increased efficiency on the farmer’s part means less work on the animal’s part.  So, for example, in a dairy operation that is efficient with their time and labor, a cow usually spends much less time waiting to be milked and actually getting milked, which allows her to relax and chew her cud longer.  Also, in farms with robotic milkers, cows can get up and be milked whenever they please, which increases production and allows the cow to be milked whenever she feels the need.

Is my food still safe to eat?

  • This answer always was, and will always be yes!  This question will be answered more extensively later on, but just remember, farmers wouldn’t produce something they wouldn’t feel safe feeding their own families, so rest assured that their produce is safe for yours.

Are farms becoming too big?

  • This question will also be covered on our “Common Questions” page, but for a fun fact, the most recent study by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) found that 99% of U.S. farms are family owned!
Advertisements