Growing up with cattle, vacations came few and far between. For me, and many of my friends, our yearly “vacation” was the county fair. There, we would all catch up with each other’s lives, have our yearly water fight, play some cards on someone’s show box, and of course show the animals that we had worked so hard all year on. None of us cared that we didn’t travel to the Bahama’s like the rest of our friends, we were right where we wanted to be, with our animals, and with the people we loved.
It might be a “Showcation” if…
- Instead of sleeping in on your “vacation”, you wake up as early as possible to be first on the wash rack, feed your animals, and clean your pens.
- Your best “vacation” outfits mainly consist of rinsing pants, rubber boots, old t-shirts, and some added manure. You only get to shower and change into nice clothes after all the animals are clean and taken care of. And even after that, you’re still gonna get dirty.
- For your “vacation”, you only relax for small amounts of time. This is the moment you’ve been waiting for all year, so you work as hard you can to keep your animals clean, happy, and show-ready.
- It may be a “showcation” if your downtime is spent sitting at someone’s stall on lawn chairs, show boxes, and buckets.
- When it comes time for food, you find a friend whose mom has a crock-pot and chow down! Fair food is fine, but nothing beats a good crock-pot sandwich.
- Speaking of fair food, just about every fair/show has a good ice cream stand. Besides the main event itself, grabbing a milkshake is usually on the list of things to do on your “showcation”.
- Your hotel getaway is typically a camper shared with multiple other people or maybe a sleeping bag in the straw next to the cows.
- Instead of spending lots of money on your “vacation”, you actually make money ( or hope you do ). Whether at the county fair or a winter jackpot show, one of the main goals is to win and hopefully make a little money.
- On your “showcation”, you make the best memories of your life; memories that simply can’t be made on a beach. The memories you make are with the people that share your passion, and the animals that you have put so much hard work into and learned from along the way. Each show and fair comes with it’s own experiences, and each experience helps make us who we are.
A “showcation” is truly unlike a typical trip to the beach, but for many people like myself, it’s the best vacation they could imagine.